Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

L.s.d

815 views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Mr M3 
#1 ·
What are the pro's and possible con's to a limited slip diff (rwd)?
Any tips on driving hard with one?
:beer:

#6 ·
fishtail is just over correction really, and can be done in any car.

People have different opinions on LSDs and cornering. In my experience it makes slides more controllable, but I know people who say open diffs are more controllable. LOL answering the question welL!

Depends on what sort of diff it is too IIRC (ie plate, Viscous) Im guessing yours is a viscous?

#9 ·
LSD Rear wheel Drive

They are simply the best thing ever fitted to a rear wheel drive car, does not matter if is BMW, Ford, Vauxhall etc.
Instead of the rear of the car sliding(snapping) from side to side as a non lsd equiped car would, with an lsd and as long as you keep the power on, you should be able to balance the car in a slide as long as you have room to do so.
Most 'moments' are caused by 'panic'
In some cases once you have experienced rear wheel drive, people never want to drive front wheel drive ever again (by choice)

Steve

#14 ·
it's one wheel spinning up then the diff locking i think. You mean the shuffle you get applying power in low speed corners? Or do you mean the "looking out of the passenger window" moments?

It's worst in a straight line on wet roads with WOT when suddenly the back moves about a foot left and right (very quickly) before resettling. Gave me a shock first time anyway :eek:

#15 ·
when it steps out, stamp on the throttle, it'll come out a treat slight bit of opposite lock to balance it then slowly wind the lock off to bring it back straight, then limiter out of the roundabout snatch the next gear, and drive round with a hard on for the rest of the day :beer: M's have got nearly 50/50 weight distribution so if you keep it planted it won't swing round that quickly, the amount of steering lock you've got on will dictate how far it comes out to start with cos the rear will want to position itself so the that the car is facing the same way as the front wheels, when it's come round to the point your happy with opposite lock it enough to balance the car again the not too much cos the rear wants to follow the front so you need to keep just enough lock there so the rear doesn't quite catch up with the front, the more you turn into the drift the quicker the car will correct itself and snap back so balance on the streering is the key with enough throttle to keep the wheels spinning! wet roundabouts on sunday mornings are the best for practicing on and also easier on tyres! :beer:

#16 ·
just start off slowly, and try and keep your front wheels on a good line in and out of the roundabout, tuck it in tight on the way in to give yourself enough room on the way out! you will prob over correct to start off with making it look like a twitch more than a drift due to over correcting the wheel on the way out too soon, but the more confident you become the less you will "over" correct and the arse will stay out that little bit longer :beer:

#17 ·
htimsllib said:
when it steps out, stamp on the throttle, it'll come out a treat
I really really really wouldn't advise you try this on a road until you're confident you know what you're doing. The police take a very dim view of people ending up on the middle of roundabouts ;)

#19 ·
Rik - As standard yeah. In the word's of Tim P, it's an M lmao
Wayne - Thanks for your best wishes :beer:
Rhyd - It's got a lot of grip, and is very smooth power delivery, no sudden bursts, so will be ok-ish. :)
Tathan - Yeah the little step out and back when it corrects. Backing off probably doesn't help.
Htimsllib - Sounds like you have fun (glad I didn't buy yours :eek: ) lmao

There, saves a SimonP moment :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.