Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

considering a 944 any opinions?

3K views 58 replies 10 participants last post by  mike261263 
#1 ·
ive been looking at these, you can get a late model 90-91 , for under 5k sposed to be pretty reliable.

im not interested in the badge or how "supercar" it is or isent, for the same reason i got the astra, its a car i desire regardless of age value status etc etc so any thought?

#2 ·
they are the best looking porsches ever built - the only one I'd like to have.
They didn't have real porsche engines I thought - rather volkswagen or audi engines? (not sure tho)

edit: this is the 944, right? the bodykitted version of the 924 ?

#8 ·
the turbo maybe the fastest but thats not my main priority if it were there are many faster cars i could potentially get for the money, its the whole package im looking at, i think the 3.0 with 200bhp would be ideal.

#9 ·
It was the 924 which was fitted with 2.0 audi engine and also the late ones where fitted with the 2.5 8v engines. The 944's where fitted with 2.5 8v,2.7 8v,2.5 8v 220bhp turbo,2.5 8v 250bhp turbo, and 3.0 16v engines. Take your pick!

#10 ·
The 3.0 have 207 bhp, which is decent, however in my experience the turbos are more reliable. I know it sounds daft but that just the way it is! PLus you get 40 more bhp!

#13 ·
king nero said:
they are the best looking porsches ever built - the only one I'd like to have.
They didn't have real porsche engines I thought - rather volkswagen or audi engines? (not sure tho)

edit: this is the 944, right? the bodykitted version of the 924 ?
Thats a 924 Carerra GT,rare as a rare thing,only about 500 came to the UK, ridiculous amount of large bhp from the same base engine as the 924 (Audi derived)
Early 944`s had the same interior as the 924,around 1986 the 944 got it`s new oval dash,which is so much nicer.Even nicer are the series 2 cars with a much nicer front bumper/spoiler arrangement.
The timing belt tensioners have been known to die,so make sure that if/when the belts were done the tensioners were renewed as well.
The engine is generally bullet proof,but regular oil changes are required,you don`t want anything nasty getting to the bores as they are aluminium with a nikasil coating,slight scratch= major wear.

#14 ·
Yeah the 16v heads have a few issues, roller and cams etc, but at the end of the day an engine will go wrong eventually. You need to find a car which has service history and documented mileage. 100k on a car which is 14-15 yrs old isnt that bad, ive seen them with over double that. The S2 engines are more sort after, where as the turbo ones are quite common. Both the S2 and turbo models share the same facelifted front and rear ends as SimonP said, and parts are nt really that expensive.

:beer:

#15 ·
thats the thing i like, its a good looking car but not pretty and it doesent scream look at me like a boxter or 911, but its still a proper sporty car instead of a beemer which while capable, is just a bit "no mark"!

its got all the elements i want, out and out speed aint really an issue im quite happy with the astra's performance tbh in the real world i couldent use much more any way, and i use cars as day to day transprort not tracks days or qtr miles.

#17 ·
hmm so generally the later the model the better! still lots of homework to do as at the moment i can only just see the difference between the 924/944/968 let alone different specs.

im fairly sure i dont want a turbo but never say never it wont be tuned or modded just kept in the best "working" condition possible same as my astra, i get no joy from having a car in bits on my drive for months hence the lack of mods.

im just enquiring at the mo, probably wont be looking till mid next year.

#18 ·
968 are a bit pricier, i dont spend loads on a car cos its a bad investment and ruins my enjoyment of the car if im constantly worrying its too valuable to park here, or i cant do that cos its value will decrease etc.

#19 ·
damon lagrue said:
hmm so generally the later the model the better! still lots of homework to do as at the moment i can only just see the difference between the 924/944/968 let alone different specs.

im fairly sure i dont want a turbo but never say never it wont be tuned or modded just kept in the best "working" condition possible same as my astra, i get no joy from having a car in bits on my drive for months hence the lack of mods.

im just enquiring at the mo, probably wont be looking till mid next year.
No worries, i work with these cars every day, so if you want any help let me know! :beer:

#20 ·
I do really like the look of the 968, has an almost exotic look about it although it's not hugely different to the 944 physically.

Early ones are a bit ugly but retro (rear). Late ones do look far better.

Fav of that shape is the 968 though. Always loved this car.

#21 ·
SimonP said:
I do really like the look of the 968, has an almost exotic look about it although it's not hugely different to the 944 physically.

Early ones are a bit ugly but retro (rear). Late ones do look far better.

Fav of that shape is the 968 though. Always loved this car.

Agreed :cool: :beer:

#22 ·
yeah cheers for the advise, im giving it serious consideration at the mo, not really interested in porshe brand/status whatever just like the car, like i always really liked the astra gte without knowing anything about vaux.

other thing i dont like about the 968 is the more modern front end, i kind of like the gruff 80's ness of the 944 , 968 almost looks like i wanted a boxer/911 but couldent afford it, kind of like dedaging a 318 and hoping everyone thinks its an m3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.