Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Whats my car worth?

2K views 68 replies 31 participants last post by  turbo_chronic 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Have decided that its time for a change, so i will be selling the Astra in february, but i'm not sure what its worth, so don't know whether to sell it complete or break it.

Its a 1.4spi merit with full Gsi kit (all GM parts) and full gsi interior, momo steering wheel, gearknob and handbrake. pioneer 7" flip out tv with changer, two amps and two 12" Sony subs.
K&N induction kit, new down pipe, CAT and piper CAT back system with 3.5" inwardly rolled pipe.
17" wheels, pi suspension kit, GSi front brakes, smoked jewel effect rear lights.
Plus hundreds of spare parts in the garage including lexus lights, gsi legs complete with brakes and suspension, two black dash boards, Wilwood 330mm disks with 4 pots, etc.

Everything will be for sale bar the private plate.

Cheers Chris.

See less See more
#27 ·
phat SR said:
Keep it Chris! i've had 'extensive' (and still ongoing lol) problems with my LET as you may or may not have been aware, sick of the sight of the car sat there undrivable, so.....got the part i was waiting for for the oil return on the turbo, drove it and fook me felt sooooo nice (mcbride will vouch for the smile the boost puts on your face ;) ) admittedly i stil have probs with the car, but my love in the stra has been rekindled lol!!
xee or LET it and you will love it so much more you'll want it at least another year!!
I know what you mean mate, i've always wanted a LET powered mk3, but the problem is i can't insure one for atleast 18months, and i really don't want to be driving a 1.4 any longer.

#31 ·
phat SR said:
Or even an SEH if you dont want to fork out for an xe....
Keep it though mate, is such a good looking car, just the lack of power that's boring you :beer:
I know its nice, but Astra coupe are nice too! :rolleyes:

#35 ·
I dont see a reason why this car wouldnt go for a similar amount as a GSi would to the right buyer. With insurance getting even more expensive for new drivers, that would be worth alot more to younger drivers as it has everything GSi bar the engine so its ideal for such people. Worth a fair bit over the grand that some people seem to be guessing at.

I agree about sticking a LET in it. Would be worth around £3k easily then I would of thought.

#36 ·
If you've got a couple lads local handy who are happy to do engine swops for beer tokens go for that option. Because as it stands:-

The car now £800

The car with a LET in £3-4k

Fork out for a LET (£900) and a night out for 2 spanner wielding mates(£100). And make your money back on the LET and more on top. You don't even have to insure it. Swop the engine on the weekend. Get it up for sale straight away. Perfect base for it looking in such good nick.

#38 ·
Cally16v said:
If you've got a couple lads local handy who are happy to do engine swops for beer tokens go for that option. Because as it stands:-

The car now £800

The car with a LET in £3-4k

Fork out for a LET (£900) and a night out for 2 spanner wielding mates(£100). And make your money back on the LET and more on top. You don't even have to insure it. Swop the engine on the weekend. Get it up for sale straight away. Perfect base for it looking in such good nick.

i do a couple of spanner weilders in my local area...........;)

#41 ·
Another thing with the LET and XE swap is its gonna be more than a engine and loom change. This car stated life as a basic 1.4 merit. So its gonna need so much replacing, we are talking drive shafts, suspension legs (therefor brakes, shocks and springs), engine mounts....the list is endless.

#49 · (Edited)
Dave Dempsey said:
Worth more in bits than as a whole car Im afraid......just break it.
TBH, I doubt it is worth more in bits. A GSi kit is worth about £300 MAX and the interior about £100. The rest is an Astra 1.4 the ICE and a few other bits and bobs you'd only end up putting in your new car. The brakes are worth a bit I guess....although somewhat a pointless mod for a 1.4 ...unless you were to finish the project. ;)

Shame as it's a nice car and I've seen the effort you've put into it.

I think for the sake for £1000, I'd find an LET as people have suggested.

At the end of the day, it depends what you have. I'd not buy a new car or even one that's a few years old unless you can afford something that will hold it's money.

You'll spend another £7k or something getting a late MK4 or something. Your car with a LET will most likely not be much different really, just quicker.

MK3's still have a reasonably modern shape and nice interior. Infact, I think in certain trim levels, they've aged better than the MK4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.