Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Has anyone ever broken their windscreen in this weather?

2K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  wayne451 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has ever busted their screen by defrosting the window using water? I dont know anyone thats ever done it! Granted, I only use luke warm water not boiling water but have any of you ever managed it? :confused:

#4 ·
I had a small stone chip that's been in my Cavaliers windscreen for ages, the first time it frosted I got in the car and waited until the engine was warm, got a few miles down the road and swithed the blowers on and it cracked the windscreen all the way accross from that tiny stone chip!

#5 ·
MattNovaTD said:
I had a small stone chip that's been in my Cavaliers windscreen for ages, the first time it frosted I got in the car and waited until the engine was warm, got a few miles down the road and swithed the blowers on and it cracked the windscreen all the way accross from that tiny stone chip!
Yeah Ive done that, I sat in the car & watched the crack grow to about 6 inches in length. Then it got stolen so couldnt care less.

CG

#7 ·
wayne451 said:
Just wondering if anyone has ever busted their screen by defrosting the window using water? I dont know anyone thats ever done it! Granted, I only use luke warm water not boiling water but have any of you ever managed it? :confused:
Guy next door stood the other morning watching me scrape the Astra (with the electric scraper).... he was probably wondering why I was going to all that effort.... as he poured a kettle of scalding water all over the windows of his 2003 3 Series BM.....

It didn't crack, but it's asking for it IMO. I'd rather spend a few seconds scraping, than fork out hundreds for a new screen. I know they rarely crack, but why give them encouragement. It's like people that turn a freezing cold power hose on a boiling hot engine block....

#8 ·
I would rather get one of those heated front screens. Like on some ford's and some peugeots. But seeing I don't have one and is unlikely I will get one, I usually let is defrost with the heaters inside the car. Failing that, de-icer or nearly warm water. Never done the boiling water or even seen anyone do it.

#14 ·
MattNovaTD said:
****!! Ive had crack and a stone chip in me cav's windscreen for over 2 years :eek: better get it fixed now then :rolleyes:

#16 ·
KillBill said:
The only problem with heated screens is they cost an absolute bomb to replace....
I suppose, but the windscreen excess. :) I would imagine it wouldn't apply if you put a different screen though. :(

#18 ·
Im happy letting the engine run while i scrape away, it gives the battery a chance to charge before i squeese it for all its power.
There is one man that throws a sink bowl of steaming water over his car every day and every day i call hima nob, not because of his window but becuase he parks on a corner of the road and we all suffer when it refreezes on the floor.

Rather then leave ice on the roads lads buy that new PRE FREEZE that prevents it freezing over. Ive never used it but it sounds good.

#20 · (Edited)
Luke warm water in ace imo, but watch out, I went out one morning at 5.30am chucked warm water over the windscreen, door windows etc and hopped in, drove off.

5miles later pulled up at destination..

Any guesses as to what had happened?? :rolleyes:

ANSWER: Yep the doors had frozen shut and I was stuck in the car lmao

#24 ·
rhydgte said:
Luke warm water in ace imo, but watch out, I went out one morning at 5.30am chucked warm water over the windscreen, door windows etc and hopped in, drove off.

5miles later pulled up at destination..

Any guesses as to what had happened?? :rolleyes:

ANSWER: Yep the doors had frozen shut and I was stuck in the car lmao
doors frozen shut due to water freezing or the screen frozen over again?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.