Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

What Power/Chip Would You Go For On a Standard'ish C20LET.....

2K views 75 replies 13 participants last post by  rodgerq 
#1 ·
C20LET
Fully rebuilt/ and cleaned.
Large Intercooler
Turbo Fully rebuilt (0 miles)

What Phs chip would people go for?
what power you you be able to run?

Theres a Nova in the for sale section and hes running 299bhp@15psi and 284 lb ft of torque on EDS Phase 3 Kit

#5 ·
PS

With the time/money that project already obviously owed you, why not do the job properly and rebuild the motor to a decent spec and use a decent turbo and autronic/dta/mbe/wolf or whatever to actually set it up properly?

#6 ·
EDS Phase 4 is supposed to give 370bhp
Vmax Evo 6 is supposed to give 355bhp.

You need to have a hybrid turbo
Oil spray bars
Cylinder block mods at well.

other wise it will just spit it out.

I was running Vmax EVO 2 on my Calibra (245bhp)
But with the large intercoller and other bits and bobs.
Would be a bit stronger than the 245 quoted i would think.
Was nice to drive and had a really good chuck of power.

Depends how far you want to go.

PS as per chips comment if you want serious serious power then programmable management is the way forward but then you are talking serious rebulid time.

#10 ·
i want about 300'ish but not have it blow up ever week :D
BUT dont want to spend £100000 on stuff to get that
i would rather have 250 which will last than 300 and costing a bomb.
BUT if i can spend a few hundard to make the engine stronger to take the 300 then thats worth it?

(new to all this LET stuff :D i am used to Xe on TB and V6's )

#12 ·
i know about most of the internals on a XE as heres the parts i have for one of my other corsas :D
250bhp before head work

just never really played with LETs, i have fitted them and fixed them but never tryed to gain power or anything so after as much advice as i can....

#13 ·
Whats the current bore wear like?
What is the piston to bore clearance
How glazed are the rings
How worn are the rings
Whats the leakdown test results?
How pitted are the valves
How equally do the injectors flow
Is there any wear on the oil pump or water pump
Was the head torqued down correctly
Was the head and block decked when it was last built (or when new)
How much luck did you have with the bearing tunnel ovality once the block shifted

Pay an engineering shop about a grand to stip and inspect your engines and answer all those questions then you can have some sort of educated guesstimate at how long it will last.

#15 ·
If you only want 300bhp you dont need ANY uprated parts, not even the rod bolts or head gasket for it to be perfectly reliable. (although i would recomend the rod bolts anyway as the standard ones are a bit of a lottery, and in one in a hundred cases or whatever can fail at times when really they shouldnt, the material spec must vary a lot)

But you DO need the thing to be built properly and not have starship milages on it.

Its not about the parts, its about how they are put together and how much they have worn since.

#16 ·
BeArDy said:
cheers for that Chip

so then if i say its a standard LET out of a cally on say 90k miles, what then?
(its not but i am trying to understand what power you can get for a standard'ish LET)
At phase 2 it will last somewhere between one inch and 100K miles, anyone who tries to give you a more accurate guess than that clearly hasnt got a clue what they are on about.

#17 ·
just want i need to know Chip cheers
new to all this LET Chip stuff lmao

as you read that in the for sale bit Nova standard on a Phs 3 (even i was thinking that was abit high) at 300bhp, and you think ok i will slap a phs 3 on there :)

the engine has just been strip, and havent had time to look it over yet, will double check everything and replace as much as i can (within reason).

Cheers

:beer:

#19 ·
id go for phase 2 personally. the ph3 kits seem to have trouble controlling boost. from the amount ive seen ive only ever seen two or three ph3/3.5 controlling boost properly

rodgerq

#20 ·
rodgerq said:
id go for phase 2 personally. the ph3 kits seem to have trouble controlling boost. from the amount ive seen ive only ever seen two or three ph3/3.5 controlling boost properly

rodgerq
:beer:

But you shouldnt be arsing around with phase kits on your car beardy, give it the DTA P8 PRO it deserves, lol

#23 ·
i have been talkin to a guy from DTA about that system. its impressive, has twice the processing power compared to the autronic and the same amount as Motec. 32 mhz to be precise. features are as you would expect the usual suspects anti lag, traction/launch control.

i was sure about getting it but after talking to a mate who owns a motorsport company he tryin to talk me into getting Gems or Motec :rolleyes:

rodgerq

#24 ·
plus the DTA has a great looking dash to, but then again so does the Motec(which the autronic happens to be compatible with)

rodgerq

#26 ·
Motech is a lot more money.

If you want a DTA i know someone who can get you one cheaper.

Pretty sure he said:
800 for P8PRO
550 for EXP48

That just to buy, no base map or mapping or anything

The dash is cool, but the real toy is the tuning knobs :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.