whats the law in uk on airbags
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: whats the law in uk on airbags

  1. #1
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7
    Drives

    whats the law in uk on airbags

    i really want to change the the original s wheel(with airbag) in my nexia but will it fail mot because it wont have an airbag

    thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    6,763
    Drives
    a Crotch Rocket
    Unless the law has changed recently, no it won't fail.

  4. #3
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex,
    Posts
    17,678
    Drives
    1.6LPG, 1.8, 1.9CDTI
    Air bag is not a testable Item.

    It does not affect the safety of the Vehicle - Just the passenger/driver

    ABS is tetable.
    http://www.tssd.co.uk How Tos . http://www.gte24v.co.uk/shop/ Parts For Sale The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

  5. #4
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    6,585
    Drives
    saab turbo
    i thought if the warning light was on they could fail you. therefore remove offending bulb. could be wrong tho
    curiosity killed the cat...................but for a while i was a suspect!!

  6. #5
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dagenham, Essex
    Posts
    1,263
    Drives
    Nothing :[
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Walker
    i thought if the warning light was on they could fail you. therefore remove offending bulb. could be wrong tho
    this does work if your tester is abit off as many would not notice the abs unit under the bonnet. however if he did spot it he would then know you have bodged it as the abs is supposed to do a test, when you turn the car on the bulb comes on then goes out when its worked out everything is working.

  7. #6
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NW, England
    Posts
    1,160
    Drives
    Corsa X14XE
    wot about insurance ?

    what view do they take if you have removed airbag ?

  8. #7
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    97
    Drives
    Or wire it to your oil pressure light for the ABS light

  9. #8
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex,
    Posts
    17,678
    Drives
    1.6LPG, 1.8, 1.9CDTI
    Quote Originally Posted by richardmk3
    Or wire it to your oil pressure light for the ABS light

    That won't work, as the ABS light must go out after self test, before the engine is started.


    If you have check control (side+Tail check) or traction control though you can wire it to them
    http://www.tssd.co.uk How Tos . http://www.gte24v.co.uk/shop/ Parts For Sale The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

  10. #9
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    34,293
    Drives
    Like its stolen
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark T
    Air bag is not a testable Item.

    It does not affect the safety of the Vehicle - Just the passenger/driver

    ABS is tetable.

    Seatbelts are testable and are just for the safety of the passenger/driver too

    I think the key thing with an airbag is that it cant realistically be tested anyway.

  11. #10
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex,
    Posts
    17,678
    Drives
    1.6LPG, 1.8, 1.9CDTI
    Quote Originally Posted by chip
    Seatbelts are testable and are just for the safety of the passenger/driver too

    I think the key thing with an airbag is that it cant realistically be tested anyway.

    Seatbelts are required by Law, airbags aren't


    They can't test the ABS either in the test station.
    http://www.tssd.co.uk How Tos . http://www.gte24v.co.uk/shop/ Parts For Sale The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

  12. #11
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    73
    Drives
    2005 Chevy Silverado
    If Its Fitted, It Must Be Operational.

    If Its Removed And The Bulb Is Extinguished/Removed, No Problem
    Knowledge Is The Bomb - Live The Dream

  13. #12
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    52.26320 -0.81374
    Posts
    19,255
    Drives
    2.0 16v Astra GTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_H
    If Its Fitted, It Must Be Operational.

    If Its Removed And The Bulb Is Extinguished/Removed, No Problem
    If you are talking airbags, and that's what the thread is about, then you are wrong. Airbags ARE NOT a testable item for the MOT test. Fitted or not.
    Veni,Vidi,Scubi

  14. #13
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Stoke/Leamington Spa
    Posts
    769
    Drives
    Whirling Dervish
    AIr bags are not testable but if you remove it then you're insurance can be invalid as your policy will assume it's fitted when you come to claim for personel injury of having smashed you face and chest in on the wheel. just declare it as a modification. The secret is to avoid ever deploying it. they can cause you more damage than they save in certain circumstances anyway.
    "I have nothing to declare"

  15. #14
    MIGWeb User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Near Gt Yarmouth
    Posts
    4,367
    Drives
    Astra Estate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark T
    Seatbelts are required by Law
    Only after 1964
    Need custom t-shirts?...www.deathgimp.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts