Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Did something a bit stupid tonight...

2K views 60 replies 38 participants last post by  Silvia s12 
#1 ·
it general what i did was not a good idea...

It seemed like a good idea at the time...but clearly it wasn't!

Tonight i was a little bored and went a drive, was a calm night, roads were dry, roy bacers out in force. It was at about 12:00 midnight (not long before i start writing this)
Anyways out driving around and what do i see but 2 saxo's and a civic driving a bit faster than they should have been.
Decided to follow them and see what was happening, i just sort of keep my distance so as not to provoke these people in to driving faster, as per my usual observe the boy racers in their natural environment technique.

Anyways it isn't long before i suss whats happening the 2 saxo's are VTS's and the civic (old shape) is a 1.6 16V i know because i've actually spoke to this guy before, seems decent. So i'm guessing there is some sort of king of the 1600's going on here and i just keep back.

Following them out of the town they are heading for the motorway, interesting i thought as saxo's are more impressive around the town, so i pulled up behind the last car, Saxo just to say "i wanna watch this".
I sit and just generally want to see how they move on the motorway, so i sit there and they come out of a round about onto the motorway, the poor civic had lost already! 2 saxo's ripped past him accelerating really quick, i drop to 2nd and see if i can reel them in, really kicked the crap outta my engine but reeled in the first saxo when i looked down i was doing 95, holy crap!! :eek: They did get a head start but i thought i would have caught him before 95!
The guy was still acclerating and him, with me pushing him down the road caught the lead saxo, at this point all 3 of us are doing an indicated 130mph! i think the saxo's had no more power left but the GSi wasn't exactly on holiday either, i could have pulled past them both i recon but the blood went back to my brain and i hammered on the brakes and took her back down to 80mph, the saxo's kept going, and if i knew it was safe to do so i.e. on a track i would have stayed in the game, but i was SO p**sed off at myself for even getting drawn into it, i came home, parked the car, and looked at it in a totally different light tonight!

I'm strongly considering selling the GSi, its a great car, i love it to bits, it takes a lot of car to beat my GSi for all that it is, but i think i'm still too young and dumb to be able to keep the GSi and my licence!

P.S This all took place in a dream/track/other country/totally fictional!
- I don't even have a GSi and saxo's can't do 130mph, and i also live in a small island with no roads only dirt tracks...i call it scotland

See less See more
#4 ·
i try i assure you i try, thats why i'm so annoyed, i should have never been dumb enough to let me turn into an as**ole show off.

I can't believe i was wanting a turbo...no chance now, not until i grow up a bit, so i can buy a turbo and drive it slower :confused: whats the frigging point of having a fast car in this country?!

if i got caught tonight i would have been f**ked royally, i drive to university and home i would have been f**ked, it could cost me my degree!!
And whats bothering me more is i could STILL be caught and not even know, how do i know there wasn't a mobile speed camera on that road *looks for reassurance i'm safe from MIG*

As for why drive a GSi and drive it like a 1.0 well thats the point i'm seriously thinking of just moving back into my MK4 perminantly and selling the GSi on, but the GSi is so easy to drive, it sounds like a lame excuse to drive an Astra 2.0 16V but it really is, the power is there i never have to work the car hard to get the results or keep with traffic, i really do love that about the car, and the fuel economy on the motorway is f**king spectacular!

I'm kicking my own ass bad enough about this, what i really don't need is the police to join in, i don't often drive fast i tend just to enjoy having the car, enjoy the feel of power by just knowing its on tap and knowing the car and boogie when i want lol

*DUMB ASS*

#6 · (Edited)
Kenny-MK4Astra said:
it general what i did was not a good idea...

It seemed like a good idea at the time...but clearly it wasn't!

Tonight i was a little bored and went a drive, was a calm night, roads were dry, roy bacers out in force. It was at about 12:00 midnight (not long before i start writing this)
Anyways out driving around and what do i see but 2 saxo's and a civic driving a bit faster than they should have been.
Decided to follow them and see what was happening, i just sort of keep my distance so as not to provoke these people in to driving faster, as per my usual observe the boy racers in their natural environment technique.

Anyways it isn't long before i suss whats happening the 2 saxo's are VTS's and the civic (old shape) is a 1.6 16V i know because i've actually spoke to this guy before, seems decent. So i'm guessing there is some sort of king of the 1600's going on here and i just keep back.

Following them out of the town they are heading for the motorway, interesting i thought as saxo's are more impressive around the town, so i pulled up behind the last car, Saxo just to say "i wanna watch this".
I sit and just generally want to see how they move on the motorway, so i sit there and they come out of a round about onto the motorway, the poor civic had lost already! 2 saxo's ripped past him accelerating really quick, i drop to 2nd and see if i can reel them in, really kicked the crap outta my engine but reeled in the first saxo when i looked down i was doing 95, holy crap!! :eek: They did get a head start but i thought i would have caught him before 95!
The guy was still acclerating and him, with me pushing him down the road caught the lead saxo, at this point all 3 of us are doing an indicated 130mph! i think the saxo's had no more power left but the GSi wasn't exactly on holiday either, i could have pulled past them both i recon but the blood went back to my brain and i hammered on the brakes and took her back down to 80mph, the saxo's kept going, and if i knew it was safe to do so i.e. on a track i would have stayed in the game, but i was SO p**sed off at myself for even getting drawn into it, i came home, parked the car, and looked at it in a totally different light tonight!

I'm strongly considering selling the GSi, its a great car, i love it to bits, it takes a lot of car to beat my GSi for all that it is, but i think i'm still too young and dumb to be able to keep the GSi and my licence!

P.S This all took place in a dream/track/other country/totally fictional!
- I don't even have a GSi and saxo's can't do 130mph, and i also live in a small island with no roads only dirt tracks...i call it scotland
yeah done similar, not raced like that though...but i know what its like to be bored and go for a drive....I wouldn't worry about it too much, though selling may or may not be a good idea. got any pics of it?

how old are you? it may be an idea to get another hobby...so when you do drive u drive sensibly. i found that works, if i dont go on mig or think about cars I never want to go for a drive...and when in the car i rarely boot it.

The problem is if you keep doing this...sooner or later you'll get caught or get hurt or hurt someone...you just have to have some self control.

#7 ·
Hobbies ... don't be me started was into all sorts...

Keep fit...spend a fortune on stuff
Down hill cycle...spent a fortune
Nitro RC.... had 5 of them!
Motorbikes.... Never got to ride it due to the weather!

I like to watch the MPG meter too, i like that idea i think i'll try that.

I'm 20 years old BTW.
Car just looks like a standard GSi but lowered, white. pretty good example.

I've never raced at those speeds either, i'm not saying i've never done those speeds but never for someone other than myself, it seems there is a lot of differance! cause i was still shaking upto about 10 mins ago! - not impressed with myself, i did have pics on my server but its offline for now, i'm going to sort out an account with someone else right now actually so i can keep my server offline... i'll post pics if i manage to do that tonight...

#8 ·
Kenny-MK4Astra said:
Hobbies ... don't be me started was into all sorts...

Keep fit...spend a fortune on stuff
Down hill cycle...spent a fortune
Nitro RC.... had 5 of them!
Motorbikes.... Never got to ride it due to the weather!

I like to watch the MPG meter too, i like that idea i think i'll try that.

I'm 20 years old BTW.
Car just looks like a standard GSi but lowered, white. pretty good example.

I've never raced at those speeds either, i'm not saying i've never done those speeds but never for someone other than myself, it seems there is a lot of differance! cause i was still shaking upto about 10 mins ago! - not impressed with myself, i did have pics on my server but its offline for now, i'm going to sort out an account with someone else right now actually so i can keep my server offline... i'll post pics if i manage to do that tonight...
Cool. I'm 20 too. I got a mk2 astra gte...from scotland too.

Who you with for insurance? i went with adrian flux but only because i had no claims...if I didn't have that i wouldn't get insured!

#9 ·
Life's full of these little conundrums/contradictions isn't it?
You aspire to a fast(er) car but if you use it to its potential you risk losing it/serious consequences. Sounds more like testing relative performance rather than a 'race' - you did the sensible thing once curiousity was satisfied. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself - just don't get in the habbit. Makes me laugh all these people that post up 'kill' lists etc. because the vast majority of the 'kills' wouldn't even have been trying - but once in a while everyone's done it - you wouldn't be human otherwise.

#10 ·
AndyKay said:
Life's full of these little conundrums/contradictions isn't it?
You aspire to a fast(er) car but if you use it to its potential you risk losing it/serious consequences. Sounds more like testing relative performance rather than a 'race' - you did the sensible thing once curiousity was satisfied. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself - just don't get in the habbit. Makes me laugh all these people that post up 'kill' lists etc. because the vast majority of the 'kills' wouldn't even have been trying - but once in a while everyone's done it - you wouldn't be human otherwise.
A very well written post mate thanks!

Not one for kill lists although i've seen them before i think they are very immature...but then again so is racing a stupid VTS along the motorway :rolleyes:

I'm insured through elephant, i've used my no claims on my MK4 so my sister let me use hers on the GSi... Not going to complain!

I do agree it wasn't as such a race...at least not me and them, those two were going at it as if they were racing for big money! the fact is i was stupid but they were lethel they were still going...i hope they got home ok because by the looks of things they were not slowing for anything, and saxo's are not good to drive fast so i'd be s**tting it if i was in those two cars!

#12 ·
AndyKay said:
Sounds like they were late for their own funerals - you made a good call in the end :beer:
Thanks TBH i'd prefer if i didn't do it in the first place, doesn't really matter if nobody else knows it matters that i know i did it.. guilty conscience and all that.

But yea those guys were still going, and i've heard that VTS's can do 140 if chipped, but these ones seemed to hit a wall at 130...hopefully they didn't hit any literal walls though!

Well i can't rewind time however i will put it down to a learning expieriance...thats what i do every time i do something stupid!
so i'll hopefully keep how i feel about it now in mind next time the opportunity comes around!

#14 ·
You may have been an idiot for racing in the first place, but it's something we've all done, and we will always do.. Some people on largewr spectrums and some people will do it more often.

However, surley you're getting somewhere if it's concerning you so much, and you have to openly vent your feelings on here and hammer yourself down by insulting yourself. It certainly seems like a positive thing to do if you need to control yourself. If you sold your car, surley you'd be 'giving in'. There's plenty of ways to clam yourself down and control yourself.

#17 ·
sounds more like bored curious fun than a serious 'street race'. think EVERY under 24 has done similar and most of us have done alot worse! nothing wrong with speed if it used in the right place / time. 130 in a residential street should carry a death penalty but on a deserted motorway at midnight sounds ok. plus you had the sense to back off instead of carrying on :beer: from me, when i was 20 i woulda just kept on going to see if i could. end of the day you pay your (extortionate) road tax to drive on the road, and in my opinion if you pay for it you do as you wish with it.

#19 ·
all done it myself more than most :)

my private test track being called the A92 :)

desserted dual carriageway no speed cameras and various fast cars(RST gte 16v's and nova 16vs) have been raced up there by me :)

now i'm an old bas with 6 years no claims and a pug 405 estate to trailer the nova to track days :( :(

#20 ·
Christ!!! if you feel guilty for that, then Im going straight to hell!!! lmao

On the way to trax this year I got in a race with the essex RS lot, IT WAS THE B**LOCKS!! I got 168mph out of my esprit!! and still got blowen away by a 3-door!! (and a nova, but thats another story).

Things have slowed down since then, not by choice...... my champion only does 138mph and the missus dont let me cain her M3.

#21 ·
Yeah mate, as these guys say we all do things like that from time to time, you just have to know when to call it a day for commons sense sake. Same as that time I "raced" the TT, I could have kept my foot down, but it would probably have ended up a crash. That certainly isn't clever. I know you are pretty sensible mate, and I wouldn't go out in a car with you if I thought otherwise. BTW have you got that FPR back mate, I got my new blacktop one through yesterday, and could do with the gauge. Speak to you soon.

alan

#22 ·
as said, at least you saw sense, not like you harrassed them for 20 miles down the motorway (or using sliproads to overtake etc :rolleyes: )
I'd say keep the GSi, it's only as fast as you make it go, and maybe that little 'experience' has shown you how fast you really DO want to go

I was unlucky (lucky?) enough to have been behind a mate, racing, when we first had our licences, he rolled his car feet in front of me, have never harssed anyone since then, still have blats on open road, or it's ok if i'm in front, but I feel dodgy pushing someone that is in front of me, incase they lose it, cos I would feel guilty :mad:

#23 ·
gatecrasher3 said:
I am out of the boyracer flat out everywhere phase but if I am in the mood I like to have a blast around and enjoy my cars power. That is what it is for.
This is exactly my view point.
I dont know where you guys live but only a few miles away from where i live is literally hundreds of miles of country lanes,at night when its dark and you can see other cars lights coming the other way is the time and place i use the cars power,brakes and handling,i regulaly go out in the dark on my own for a fast drive,then when you get back to residential areas i stick to the limit.
Surely most people have country lanes not too far away?
Dave

#24 ·
thanks for all the comments guys...i guess my main point of anger with myself is i can't really afford to lose my licence since i do have to cummute in my car too. Also i really don't want to be responsible for the death of those saxo drivers in case they were only pushing that hard because of me, but they kept on going so i'm guessing it wasn't me, although if it were a private track i would have loved to just nail it past them at the end of a day its hardly a trophy win...beating a 1600!

Odders - glad you liked it

Gaz - perhaps your right on the giving in thing

Adam - I do plan do beat myself up thanks ;)

Rusty - Your insane

dogsy - 130mph anywhere is just a little silly! however speeding in town is something i'm not for, motorways yea i suppose if it gets me there quicker i'll go a little faster

Carnoisseur - 168mph holy crap thats fast! *hmm esprit yummy*

AJ - Yea mate scotts got the beemer back and FPR is actually not been nicked from the back seat :eek:! anyways he's bringing it round today so i'll have it back for next time your round - Cheers for the comments mate, i think i'll stick to backroads from now on too twisty to get up stupid speeds more about acceleration and handling.

cavgsi - your story is exactly what i don't want to have happen to me. This little expeiriance has shown me how fast the GSi CAN go and i don't ever forsee 140mph being out of its reach!, silly car!, i've got no intentions of ever going that fast but its clearly possible lmao i think i'll drive the MK4 today, needs driven anyways! and cleaned for that matter!

#26 ·
myself and ajbek are surrounded by them too, hence its the place you will find allan testing new mods to his engine there, and me generally just enjoying them!

And someone requested pics of the car, i've shoved a cut down version of kennysbox on brave net so for pics go here...

http://www.kennysbox.bravehost.com/cars/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.